Status report and short analysis on the project aiming to build two new units at Paks Nuclear Power Plant
So far only limited and controversial information have appeared on the project, aiming to build two new units at Paks Nuclear Power Plant. In this paper we summarize this information, available as of 09th May 2014.
Our briefing paper covers the following issues:
- Content, legal status and consequences of the Putin-Orbán deal
- The financing (credit) agreement
- Financial matters
- Impact of the extension for the Hungarian economy and energy market
- Role of the MVM Ltd.
- Correspondence between Hungarian Government and the Commission
- Possible EU objections
- Remaining legal options to prevent the extension
- Possibilities for future Hungarian governments to back down from the agreement